This image shows the College Orchestra at Appalachian State Teachers College (1929-1967) in 1958. Members sit on a stage in an auditorium in formal dress, holding their instruments. The conductor Nicholas Erneston stands on the left. The Orchestra was one of four musical organizations at Appalachian State, including the Appalachian Double Octet, College Choir, and College Band. All performed recitals throughout the year, and music majors were required to participate in at least one for twelve quarters to obtain a degree in music education. This image appears in the 1958 Rhododendron (p. 122).
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Copyright for the images on the Appalachian State University Historical Photographs Collection site is held by Appalachian State University. The images are available for free personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that proper citation is used (e.g. Appalachian State University Historical Photographs Collection, University Archives and Records, Special Collections, Appalachian State University, Boone, NC). Any commercial use of the materials, without the written permission of the Appalachian State University, is strictly prohibited. Please refer to the collection Web site for more information
The Appalachian State University Historical Photographs Digitization Project is supported with federal Library Service and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources through the North Carolina ECHO, 'Exploring Cultural Heritage Online' Digitization Grant Program.
This content is not yet available. Please check back.