This image shows Watauga Academy, built 1899, from the southeast after a snowfall. It includes a view of the southern (front) and eastern sides of the building. Two students can be seen lying in the snow in the foreground. Watauga Academy was the sole building for Watauga Academy (1899-1903), occupied while still under construction in 1899, and was fully completed in 1901. It later housed the library, domestic science laboratories and sewing rooms, an art room, recitation rooms, and administrators' offices. It was converted into a music hall in the late 1930s, and was destroyed in a fire on November 22, 1946.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Copyright for the images on the Appalachian State University Historical Photographs Collection site is held by Appalachian State University. The images are available for free personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that proper citation is used (e.g. Appalachian State University Historical Photographs Collection, University Archives and Records, Special Collections, Appalachian State University, Boone, NC). Any commercial use of the materials, without the written permission of the Appalachian State University, is strictly prohibited. Please refer to the collection Web site for more information
The Appalachian State University Historical Photographs Digitization Project is supported with federal Library Service and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources through the North Carolina ECHO, 'Exploring Cultural Heritage Online' Digitization Grant Program.
This content is not yet available. Please check back.