This image shows John K. Brown, one of the first traffic enforcers on the Appalachian State Teachers College (1929-1967) campus in the 1950s. Known as John K., he wrote tickets for illegally parked or speeding vehicles at Appalachian State and served as the night watchman since 1943. He is seen standing in a policeman's uniform between two parked cars in front of D. D. Dougherty Library, built 1935. Students first began to register vehicles on campus in 1955. Women students were not allowed cars.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Copyright for the images on the Appalachian State University Historical Photographs Collection site is held by Appalachian State University. The images are available for free personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that proper citation is used (e.g. Appalachian State University Historical Photographs Collection, University Archives and Records, Special Collections, Appalachian State University, Boone, NC). Any commercial use of the materials, without the written permission of the Appalachian State University, is strictly prohibited. Please refer to the collection Web site for more information
The Appalachian State University Historical Photographs Digitization Project is supported with federal Library Service and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources through the North Carolina ECHO, 'Exploring Cultural Heritage Online' Digitization Grant Program.
This content is not yet available. Please check back.