This image shows some members of the Center for Appalachian Studies at Appalachian State University (1967-current). Seven people are sitting around a table with plates, wine glasses, and food in front of them. A sheet of paper with a wreath drawn on it hangs in the background, reading, "greeting." Part of the Department of Interdisciplinary Studies, the Center for Appalachian Studies was started in 1978 by Chancellor Herbert Wey (1969-1979) and Appalachian scholar and folklorist Cratis Williams, who taught at Appalachian State since 1940 and served as dean of the Graduate School. It focuses on promoting regional education, research, and outreach efforts.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Copyright for the images on the Appalachian State University Historical Photographs Collection site is held by Appalachian State University. The images are available for free personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that proper citation is used (e.g. Appalachian State University Historical Photographs Collection, University Archives and Records, Special Collections, Appalachian State University, Boone, NC). Any commercial use of the materials, without the written permission of the Appalachian State University, is strictly prohibited. Please refer to the collection Web site for more information
The Appalachian State University Historical Photographs Digitization Project is supported with federal Library Service and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources through the North Carolina ECHO, 'Exploring Cultural Heritage Online' Digitization Grant Program.
This content is not yet available. Please check back.