This image shows Professor Ray Derrick of the Department of Biology standing beside a plastic sink with a fish swimming in a pool of water in it at Appalachian State University (1967-current) in the 1970s. Derrick began teaching at Appalachian State in 1946, and served as department chairman from 1956 to 1973. He retired in 1978. The Department of Biology aimed to provide cultural background in life sciences, prepare biology teachers, and train biologists, and includes courses on animal observation, zoology, and graduate classes in animal ecology. It is housed in the College of Arts and Sciences and maintains a greenhouse, a herbarium, and several land tracts located on and off campus.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Copyright for the images on the Appalachian State University Historical Photographs Collection site is held by Appalachian State University. The images are available for free personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that proper citation is used (e.g. Appalachian State University Historical Photographs Collection, University Archives and Records, Special Collections, Appalachian State University, Boone, NC). Any commercial use of the materials, without the written permission of the Appalachian State University, is strictly prohibited. Please refer to the collection Web site for more information
The Appalachian State University Historical Photographs Digitization Project is supported with federal Library Service and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources through the North Carolina ECHO, 'Exploring Cultural Heritage Online' Digitization Grant Program.
This content is not yet available. Please check back.