Clara Bartlett Dougherty, daughter of Dauphin Disco Dougherty, co-founder of Appalachian, attended Appalachian Training School (1903-1925) from 1911 to 1914, when she married Oscar Lester Brown. O. L. Brown was an ATS graduate who taught at Appalachian the manual training program in the 1919 to 1924, and helped found the program, later known as the Industrial Arts Department. Clara Dougherty Brown worked as matron at Justice Hall, built 1920, from 1921 to 1925, and was in charge of the dining room and housekeeping. The family lived at Justice Hall in the early 1920s.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Copyright for the images on the Appalachian State University Historical Photographs Collection site is held by Appalachian State University. The images are available for free personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that proper citation is used (e.g. Appalachian State University Historical Photographs Collection, University Archives and Records, Special Collections, Appalachian State University, Boone, NC). Any commercial use of the materials, without the written permission of the Appalachian State University, is strictly prohibited. Please refer to the collection Web site for more information
The Appalachian State University Historical Photographs Digitization Project is supported with federal Library Service and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources through the North Carolina ECHO, 'Exploring Cultural Heritage Online' Digitization Grant Program.
This content is not yet available. Please check back.