This image shows a graduate student receiving a graduate thesis award from Dr. Dick Rupp, dean of the Graduate School at Appalachian State University (1967-current) in May 1979. The Cratis D. Williams Graduate School was named after Cratis Williams, English professor and dean of the Graduate School from 1958 to 1975. Graduate courses were offered at Appalachian State in 1942 with degrees offered through the University of North Carolina, and a full graduate program was initiated in 1948. The School offers more than forty graduate study and research programs for master's and doctoral students. This image appears in the 1986 Rhododendron (p. 268).
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Copyright for the images on the Appalachian State University Historical Photographs Collection site is held by Appalachian State University. The images are available for free personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that proper citation is used (e.g. Appalachian State University Historical Photographs Collection, University Archives and Records, Special Collections, Appalachian State University, Boone, NC). Any commercial use of the materials, without the written permission of the Appalachian State University, is strictly prohibited. Please refer to the collection Web site for more information
The Appalachian State University Historical Photographs Digitization Project is supported with federal Library Service and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources through the North Carolina ECHO, 'Exploring Cultural Heritage Online' Digitization Grant Program.
This content is not yet available. Please check back.