This image shows a class attending a class being held on the athletic field for the Department of Health, Leisure, and Exercise Science at Appalachian State University (1967-current) in the late 1960s. The Physical Plant can be seen in the background, including the smokestack, demolished 1973. The field was located at the southwest corner of campus, approximately on the current location of Durham Park. The field was named Red Lackey Field in 1987 in honor for E. G. Lackey, who graduated from Appalachian State in 1937 and served on the Board of Trustees for eighteen years. It was moved adjacent to Kidd-Brewer Stadium, built 1979, in the late 1990s.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Copyright for the images on the Appalachian State University Historical Photographs Collection site is held by Appalachian State University. The images are available for free personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that proper citation is used (e.g. Appalachian State University Historical Photographs Collection, University Archives and Records, Special Collections, Appalachian State University, Boone, NC). Any commercial use of the materials, without the written permission of the Appalachian State University, is strictly prohibited. Please refer to the collection Web site for more information
The Appalachian State University Historical Photographs Digitization Project is supported with federal Library Service and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources through the North Carolina ECHO, 'Exploring Cultural Heritage Online' Digitization Grant Program.
This content is not yet available. Please check back.