This image shows the pre-1973 physical plant, with part of Broome-Kirk Gymnasium, built 1955, visible on the right. The Physical Plant was composed of several additions, including a Steam Generator Plant, built 1924, and a Physical Service Building, built 1975 (not shown). The smokestack was removed in 1973 when the plant stopped using coal as a heat source, and a new tower/stack had to be constructed twenty years later to comply with EPA emissions regulations. Cars can be seen parked on Appalachian Street, and a crane is visible in the background.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Copyright for the images on the Appalachian State University Historical Photographs Collection site is held by Appalachian State University. The images are available for free personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that proper citation is used (e.g. Appalachian State University Historical Photographs Collection, University Archives and Records, Special Collections, Appalachian State University, Boone, NC). Any commercial use of the materials, without the written permission of the Appalachian State University, is strictly prohibited. Please refer to the collection Web site for more information
The Appalachian State University Historical Photographs Digitization Project is supported with federal Library Service and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources through the North Carolina ECHO, 'Exploring Cultural Heritage Online' Digitization Grant Program.
This content is not yet available. Please check back.