This image shows a student aligning the needle of a record player onto a record at WASU-FM, the student-run radio station at Appalachian State University (1967-current) in June 1978. The radio station began in April 1972, and broadcast a mixture of educational programs and entertainment, including jazz, classical, and rock music, news and programs from National Public Radio, and Appalachian State campus events. Located at 90.5 FM, it focused its programming on student interests. It was originally located in Chapell Wilson Hall, built 1938, but eventually moved to Herbert Wey Hall, built 1976.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Copyright for the images on the Appalachian State University Historical Photographs Collection site is held by Appalachian State University. The images are available for free personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that proper citation is used (e.g. Appalachian State University Historical Photographs Collection, University Archives and Records, Special Collections, Appalachian State University, Boone, NC). Any commercial use of the materials, without the written permission of the Appalachian State University, is strictly prohibited. Please refer to the collection Web site for more information
The Appalachian State University Historical Photographs Digitization Project is supported with federal Library Service and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources through the North Carolina ECHO, 'Exploring Cultural Heritage Online' Digitization Grant Program.
This content is not yet available. Please check back.