This image shows the expansion of the Duck Pond on the southern end of campus at Appalachian State University (1967-current) in July 1978. Construction equipment can be seen digging, and a car can be seen driving in the foreground. Since 1927, the pond was present on Appalachian State campus. Ducks populated the pond steadily until the early 1980s, when the University began limiting the amount of ducks in residence. Ducks can be seen swimming in the background. The pond renamed Tomlinson Park in 1987.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Copyright for the images on the Appalachian State University Historical Photographs Collection site is held by Appalachian State University. The images are available for free personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that proper citation is used (e.g. Appalachian State University Historical Photographs Collection, University Archives and Records, Special Collections, Appalachian State University, Boone, NC). Any commercial use of the materials, without the written permission of the Appalachian State University, is strictly prohibited. Please refer to the collection Web site for more information
The Appalachian State University Historical Photographs Digitization Project is supported with federal Library Service and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources through the North Carolina ECHO, 'Exploring Cultural Heritage Online' Digitization Grant Program.
This content is not yet available. Please check back.