This image shows J. D. Rankin, professor of English and dean of the College, standing in his office at the second Administration Building, built 1924. A calendar can be seen on the wall, and a cabinet to the right. Rankin had served as administrator and professor of English at various schools from 1903 to 1921. He was a professor of English at Appalachian Training School (1903-1925), Appalachian State Normal School (1925-1929), and Appalachian State Teachers College (1929-1967), from 1921 to 1929, and became dean of the college in 1929, serving in this capacity until June 1955. He served as interim president after Blanford Barnard Dougherty retired in June 1955, and retired September 1, 1955. He died in 1966.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Copyright for the images on the Appalachian State University Historical Photographs Collection site is held by Appalachian State University. The images are available for free personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that proper citation is used (e.g. Appalachian State University Historical Photographs Collection, University Archives and Records, Special Collections, Appalachian State University, Boone, NC). Any commercial use of the materials, without the written permission of the Appalachian State University, is strictly prohibited. Please refer to the collection Web site for more information
The Appalachian State University Historical Photographs Digitization Project is supported with federal Library Service and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources through the North Carolina ECHO, 'Exploring Cultural Heritage Online' Digitization Grant Program.
This content is not yet available. Please check back.