This image shows the 1929-1930 Women's Basketball team in front of the Women's Gymnasium, built 1934, at Appalachian State Teachers College (1929-1967) in 1930. Women can be seen standing in their uniforms, while two players sit on the steps, one holding a basketball reading, "A.S.T.C. '30." Women had an outside basketball court, as well as a tennis court and croquet ground, as well as use of the Gymnasium, which was eventually turned into the Women's Gymnasium. Games were forbidden during school hours, and matches required faculty consent. This image appears in the 1930 Rhododendron (p. 89).
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Copyright for the images on the Appalachian State University Historical Photographs Collection site is held by Appalachian State University. The images are available for free personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that proper citation is used (e.g. Appalachian State University Historical Photographs Collection, University Archives and Records, Special Collections, Appalachian State University, Boone, NC). Any commercial use of the materials, without the written permission of the Appalachian State University, is strictly prohibited. Please refer to the collection Web site for more information
The Appalachian State University Historical Photographs Digitization Project is supported with federal Library Service and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources through the North Carolina ECHO, 'Exploring Cultural Heritage Online' Digitization Grant Program.
This content is not yet available. Please check back.