Appalachian State University Historical Timelines
Campus Buildings: 1900 - 1909
1903: Watauga Academy building completed, destroyed by fire 1946. Sole campus building included: 1st Floor--model primary room, domestic science kitchen, dining room, sick room, book room 2nd floor--library, printing office, sewing room, art room, library archives.
1903: Dougherty House built, moved off campus to Appalachian Heritage Museum in 1989.
1905: Coffey Farm adjacent to Newland Hall purchased.
1905: First Administration Building completed, demolished 1967.1st Floor–office, business room, chapel, 3 recitation rooms. 2nd Floor--auditorium, music rooms.
1906: Lovill Home, first women’s dormitory, completed, demolished in early 1930s.
1907: McNeil Cottage, boarding house for women, purchased.
1908: Edminsten farm on New River two miles southeast of campus, purchased.
1908: Newland Hall, 1st dorm for men, completed, demolished mid-1930s.
Project made possible by North Carolina: Preserving Cultural Heritage Online (NCECHO) through funds from the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) and the Institute of Museum and Library Sciences (IMLS).