Appalachian State University Historical Timelines
Campus Buildings: 1930 - 1939
1930-31: First Lovill Home, Lovill Annex demolished.
1931: Justice Annex, demolished early 1950s.
1932: Watauga County Hospital Built in location of first Lovill Home.
1934: Men’s Gymnasium completed, demolished early 1960s.
1934: College Bookstore moved to brick building on corner of Locust St. and College St.
1935: D. D. Dougherty Library completed.
1938: Appalachian High School/Demonstration High School completed.
1938: The first Faculty Apartments building completed, later named North Hall, and renamed Workman Hall in 1967.
1939: Second Newland Residence Hall completed, demolished mid-1990s.
1939: First Administration Building converted to Home Economics Building, demolished 1968.
1939: Old Science Hall (1911) converted to Fine Arts Building.
1939-1940: 13 Faculty Houses completed, converted later for departmental use and gradually demolished during 1990s.
Project made possible by North Carolina: Preserving Cultural Heritage Online (NCECHO) through funds from the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) and the Institute of Museum and Library Sciences (IMLS).