Appalachian State University Historical Timelines
Campus Buildings: 1980 - 1989
Early 1980s: Child Care Center (built 1928) purchased.
1980: Watauga Residence Hall demolished for Belk Library addition.
1980: Belk Residence Hall completed.
1980: Frank Residence Hall completed.
1980: Dark Sky Observatory completed.
1980-81: Administration Annex renamed Founders Hall.
1980-81: Cafeteria renamed Welborn Hall.
1980: Annas Student Support Building completed.
1980: Owens Field House dedicated.
1981: Faculty Apartments converted to co-educational dormitory for honors students; renamed Coffey Hall.
1983: Broyhill Music Center completed.
1983: Methodist Church, later renamed the Turchin Center, rebuilt after a fire.
1983: University Hall completed.
1984: Winn-Dixie at northeast corner of campus purchased, reopened as H’Appy’s.
1987: Quinn Recreation Center completed.
1987: Dougherty House moved to storage in an open field.
1987: Tomlinson Park dedicated.
1987: Auxiliary Warehouse constructed.*
1988: Conrad Stadium renamed Kidd-Brewer Stadium.
1988: H’Appy’s renovated and renamed Legends.1989: Dougherty House purchased by Appalachian Heritage Museum and moved to US 321.
*Source: Physical Facilities Inventory, 2003
Project made possible by North Carolina: Preserving Cultural Heritage Online (NCECHO) through funds from the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) and the Institute of Museum and Library Sciences (IMLS).