Appalachian State University Historical Timelines
General Events: 1900-1909
1900: Enrollment 150; 4 students enrolled in high school.
1900: "The Dew Drop," a school bulletin, course catalog, and general information pamphlet, is published. The “Dew Drop” was the main campus publication until 1929, when the school became a four-year teachers college.
1901: First graduates of Watauga Academy, Thomas C. Baird, farmer, from Valle Crucis, NC, and Jesse L. Moore, merchant, from Elizabethton, TN.
1902: Five students graduate from Watauga Academy.
1902: Blanford Barnard Dougherty travels to Raleigh to urge passing of a bill for $2000 funding for a state-funded teaching school. Bill was sponsored by Senator William Newland and passed by 1 vote on last day of General Assembly. Bill created Appalachian Training School for Western North Carolina counties, and was intended to prepare and train both teachers and students.
1903: Boone is chosen as site of Appalachian Training School over several communities with preexisting suitable schools. To help fund school, Watauga County had to raise $1,500 to match government funds. Boone raised money with help and widespread promotion by B. B. Dougherty, and offered free use of exiting Watauga Academy, and a $500 gift from local entrepreneur Moses Cone.
1903: Students were required to attend chapel meetings each morning. Campus announcements were made and speeches were given by guests, pastors, or faculty.
1903: A special summer term is added for teachers unable to attend during fall and spring.
1903: First graduate class of Appalachian Training School, eight students graduate.
1904: Tuition is free for all teachers and students intending to teach minimum two years in North Carolina public schools. Tuition ranges from $4.50-11.25 per term. Ministers and children of ministers receive a 50% discount off tuition, which was paid by the month. High School classes cost $2.50 per month, first three Public School grades were $1 a month, grades 4-5 were $1.50, and grades 5-6 were $2.00. Music and art cost $2.00, while piano classes were $.25 per month.
1905: First Administration/Classroom Building is completed east of Watauga Academy.
1906: Lovill Home, the first women’s dormitory, is built north of Administration Building, approximately on current location of Founder’s Hall.
1907: The library, located in Watauga Academy, is opened one hour each school day with three thousand volumes.
1908: Alumni Association organized
1908: First male dormitory, Newland Hall, is built on the south of campus, west of the Dougherty’s home.
1908: Campus purchases Edminsten farm on New River two miles southeast of campus, where, along with Coffey Farm, the campus maintained a dairy and grew produce for use in the school cafeteria. The dairy continued to produce meat and dairy products until 1964.
1909-1910: 371 students taught at ATS, with 108 in the summer term only.
1909: Men have a ball ground south of Administration Building for baseball. No games are allowed during regular school hours, and baseball team was no allowed to leave the neighborhood to play other teams without permission from the faculty.
1909: Women were not allowed to leave the school grounds for walks without a teacher. Men and women were not allowed to board together or associate together on any occasion. Women need written permission from parents to be allowed to spend the night away from their regular boarding rooms. Women are requested to wear inexpensive dresses during study periods and white dresses for commencement. There is no requirement for men, other than a general encouragement of neatness. Men were allowed to board off campus; women were required to board in Lovill or McNeil Cottage, or were required to have parental and faculty permission to live off campus. Both on-campus men and women were monitored by matrons. Women were not allowed in automobiles unless going to or from home, or allowed to stand by an automobile speaking with someone.
1909: Four literary societies are founded for male and female students. Male students had the Watauga and the Appalachian Societies, which met in recitation rooms weekly, and women had the Euterpean and Calliopean, which met in Lovill Home. These were the first social organizations on campus.
1909: Prayers and scriptures are read each day at Chapel. Women have prayer meetings once a week on Wednesday evenings, and men meet Sunday afternoons for religious exercises. Students are requested to attend Sunday School and preaching in different churches in Boone.
1909: Students missing more than one-fourth of the class meetings per month would not be passed without passing an exam on all the work for that month.
1909: Tuition is $10 for all students. Total student fees per term, including board, tuition, and incremental fees, reported as $48.50 for men and $44.00 for women. Teachers and students intending to teach in public schools are still exempt from tuition payments, but still required to pay other fees and board. Two scholarships for free tuition were available from the University of North Carolina and Trinity College.
1909: Board in Lovill Home for four and one-half months is $27.00. Board in Newland Hall is $31.50. Average book costs for first year are $3.25, second year $6.05, third year $6.60, and fourth year $9.05.1909: Women in Lovill Home were required to bring their own bedding, towels, and napkins, and to perform dining room work. Men in Newland Hall were required to bring their own bedding and perform extra sweeping.
Project made possible by North Carolina: Preserving Cultural Heritage Online (NCECHO) through funds from the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) and the Institute of Museum and Library Sciences (IMLS).